Bridle Blog

New E10 petrol coming this year

E10 is a new eco-friendly petrol, which is due to be rolled out across the UK later this year.

 

The government wishes to make E10 the new standard petrol grade across the country. The Department for Transport (DfT) says the change will begin this summer but not every vehicle will be able to run on it.

 

What makes E10 better for the environment is that it contains less carbon and more ethanol than fuels currently on sale.

 

Ethanol can be sourced from plants like sugar beet or wheat and is a type of alcohol. Vehicles can run purely on ethanol, but generally it is mixed with fuel derived from oil.

 

E10 will be 10% ethanol with the remaining 90% being regular unleaded petrol. This change will bring the UK in line with other European countries such as France, Belgium, Germany and Finland.

 

 

Estimates suggest that the introduction of E10 will cut carbon emissions by around 750,000 tonnes a year, which the DfT says is similar to taking 350,000 cars off the road.

 

Every petrol vehicle built after 2011 should be able to accept E10, however older vehicles might not be compatible. If your car is not compatible, then it could damage the engine.

 

To see the full details of the new E10 fuel and whether it will be able to run on your vehicle, check out the official government page here.

    News and advice

    If you’ve got any questions about something you’ve seen in the press and are not sure how it affects your drivers or your business, why not give us a call and we’ll be happy to talk it through.

    Blog Posts